Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Day 2 - My Generation

MY GENERATION:
Based on a Swedish television show, My Generation is basically a televised version of high school and beyond. Think of your life and the life of your classmates, only with most of the boring parts deleted. The show is done in a docu-reality style that works very well with what the creators are trying to do, which is showcase life. Nothing is more true that the fact that life usually doesn't end up the way we expect it to. By showing the progression of life over the last 10 years, the creators are able to show that the most meaningless events to one person, can change the entire course of another persons life. Events change relationships. People die, others are born, and friendships can be ruined forever.

Although it isn't exactly my cup of tea, I am interested to see how the show develops. It does hold potential, which, was unfortunately not shown in the pilot episode. The past of those involved was explained, and their current situations shown. Without the huge advertising campaign all over the subway cars in NYC, I would have quickly lost interest. On the other hand, I am very impressed by what the creators have managed to do. It takes a lot of ambition to start a concept 10 years in advance and know then what you will want now. As with other shows, such as Glee, I expect it will grow on me and become something I enjoy following from week to week, even if i am not passionate about it.

(Oh, and in case you couldn't tell, this show is about life.)

Now a moment for some shameless promotion.
If you like vampires, werewolves/lycans, witches, and an occasional succubi, check out The Gates. It is a summer premier from Fox that appeals to those of us who are no longer in high school and want our need for the supernatural filled without an overload of angsty teen drama, and glitter.

Also, if you get a chance, I highly recommend watching The Increasingly Poor Decisions Of Todd Margaret. Its currently up on Hulu, but only for the next 2 days so hurry. Made for IFC and staring the amazing David Cross, with an occasional appearance by Will Arnett, this show is sure to please. I would combine equal parts The Office and Arrested Development. Add in a bumbling nobody, and a move to England, and you have the next too early cancelled cult hit. I know I am looking forward to whatever possible episodes come next. That is, if there are any.

No comments:

Post a Comment